Dayton's Second-Hand Trolleys
||Oakwood Street Railway
||Dayton Street Transit
Compiled by Harvey I. Hylton
(With the assistance of Don Brabson, Ed O'Meara, Thomas McNamara, Cliff Scholes,
NATTA Databook II, and the MVRTA archives).
The Electric Trolley Bus (ETB) system in Dayton, Ohio, probably had more second-hand trolleys
than any other ETB city. During the final lean years at City Transit, survival was made possible only
by the purchase of used ETB's from other cities, where good useable vehicles were available at
bargain-basement prices. (Columbus Marmon-Herrington's went for $50 each!) Some of these
"boomers" were approaching 40 years service when they were finally retired, which speaks
well for the durability of ETB's.
Early model Brill and Pullman-Standard ETB's were acquired by City Railway Company from the
Dayton Street Railway in 1941, Peoples Street Railway in 1945, and by the new City Transit Co.
from the Dayton-Xenia Railway in 1955, and the Oakwood Street Railway in 1956. Most coaches
retained their same fleet numbers after transfer into City Railway/City Transit Company, as
did the City Railway Marmons and Pullman-Standards after the City Railway Company became the
City Transit Company in 1955.
The following list gives their original fleet numbers and from whence they came. I hope
it will be useful in clarifying a confusing history.
Transferred to City Railway Company from Dayton Street Railway in 1941
19 coaches. All with 2 GE 1154 motors. (Dayton Street Railway Company initiated
Ohio's first ETB system on 23 April 1933.) The Dayton Street Railway Co. had been
renamed Dayton Street Transit Co. by the time it was sold to City Railway in 1941.
Buses retained same fleet numbers after transfer to City Railway Co.
|DST Number||Year Model Configuration||Total transferred|
|#100-180 (numbered by 5's)||1933 T-40 with rear exit doors. ||17|
|#185-190 (numbered by 5's)||1935 T-40 with center exit doors.||2|
All except 185-190 were scrapped by 1950. 185-190 stuck around long enough to be painted for City Transit
Transferred to City Railway Company from People's Street Railway in 1945:
44 coaches. GE propulsion. People's Railway had changed their corporate name to People's Street Transit
Company prior to selling out to City Railway in 1945. Buses retained same fleet numbers after
transfer to City Railway Co in March 1945.
|People's Number||Year Model Motor||Total transferred|
|1-8||1936 T-40 2 GE 1154 motors||8 coaches|
|9-18||1938 T-40 2 GE 1154 motors||10 coaches|
|19-40||1940 T-44S single GE 1213 motor||22 coaches|
|41-44||1942 T-44SMT single GE 1213 motor||4 coaches|
Many of the T-44's survived until at least 1962 at City Transit Co. While these early Brills were originally new in Dayton when purchased by their first owners, Dayton Street Railway and People's Railway, they became secondhand when City Railway acquired their original companies.
Purchased used by City Transit Company in 1956 & 1958
10 each 1946 TC-44 purchased by City Transit in 1958, from Indianapolis, who had earlier (1953) purchased them from Fort Wayne. All had General Electric MRC controller and 1213 motor.
|City Transit Number||Indianapolis Number||Fort Wayne Number|
These coaches were scrapped in 1969
11 each 1947 TC-44 purchased in 1956 from Little Rock, Arkansas; had GE MRC and 1213 motors.
|City Transit #||Little Rock #|
These coaches were scrapped in 1968
Transferred/Sold into the new City Transit Company-1955 from City Railway
71 Coaches. All with GE propulsion. No change in fleet numbers after transfer to City Transit Co. in 1955.
|City Transit #||Year | Model | Motor||# coaches|
|106-186 (# by 10s)||1937 | 34PD-100-40CX | 2 GE 1154||9|
|206-286 (# by 10s)||1941 | P-S lot #6650 | 1 GE 1213||9|
|306-376 (# by 10s)|| 1944 | 45WS-102-450S | 1 GE 1213 ||8|
|401-445 consec. #||1947 | P-S lot #6783 | 1 GE 1213||45|
Some 200s and 300s still at City Transit Co. in 1963 and rebuilt one last time, and were put out to pasture in 1968-69; many of the 400s lasted until 1973 at the MVRTA, and all were gone by the of 1973.
From Dayton-Xenia Railway in 1955:
13 coaches. All had a single Westinghouse 1442 motor, which led to their early retirement at the predominately-GE powered City Transit Co. Many D-X Pullman's had their fleet number changed (some twice) after transfer to City Transit Co. because of conflict with ACF/Brill #s.
12 each 1940 P-S lot #6626: (Re-numbered as follows:)
|Original D-X #||City Transit Renumbering #1||City Transit Renumbering #2|
1 each 1947 P-S lot #6783A; D-X #62, renumbered as City Transit #45
(DX #62 had also temporarily been Oakwood #35 on lease for several days.
All of the D-X coaches probably scrapped by early '60's; at least two were repainted into City Transit colors
From Oakwood Street Railway in 1956
15 Coaches. All had dual GE 1154 motors. P-S 1935 model 35F-100-38CX. Very little use after 1956 transfer into City Transit Co.
Oakwood fleet #20-34; no # change after sale to City Transit Company.
The above 3 groups of Pullman-Standard ETB's were transferred into the new City Transit Company in 1955 and 1956. While not secondhand to Dayton, they represent secondhand ownership by the City Transit Company.
|Fleet #||Model||Built||Purchased||New/Used||Original Owner||Their #|
|501-520||TC-48||1949||1949||New||City Railway Co.||501-520|
|521||TC-48||1948||1956||Used||Little Rock Ark||631|
|522||TC-48||1948||1956||Used||Little Rock Ark||633|
|523||TC-48||1948||1956||Used||Little Rock Ark||629|
|524||TC-48||1948||1956||Used||Little Rock Ark||632|
|525||TC-48||1948||1956||Used||Little Rock Ark||634|
|526||TC-48||1948||1956||Used||Little Rock Ark||630|
|527||TC-48||1949||1956||Used||Oakwood St Ry||36|
|528||TC-48||1951||1956||Used||Oakwood St Ry||39|
|529||TC-48||1949||1956||Used||Oakwood St Ry||37|
|530||TC-48||1949||1956||Used||Oakwood St Ry||38|
|531||TC-48||1951||1965||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1472|
|532||TC-48||1951||1965||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1488|
|533||TC-48||1951||1965||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1487|
|534||TC-48||1951||1965||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1495|
|535||TC-48||1951||1965||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1493|
|536||TC-48||1951||1965||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1497|
|537||TC-48||1951||1965||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1486|
|538||TC-48||1951||1965||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1479|
|539||TC-48||1951||1965||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1491|
|540||TC-48||1951||1965||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1481|
|541||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||622|
|542||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||649|
|543||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||647|
|544||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||614|
|545||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||653|
|546||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||608|
|547||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||626|
|548||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||613|
|549||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||650|
|550||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||641|
|551||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||645|
|552||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||648|
|553||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||639|
|554||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||654|
|555||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||646|
|556||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||642|
|557||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||655|
|558||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||631|
|559||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||643|
|560||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||633|
|561||TC-48||1948||1965||Used||Columbus Transit Co||607|
|450-459||TC-44||1947||1947||New||City Railway Co||450-459 (10 Coaches)|
|601||TC-44||1947||1959||Used|| Kansas City Public Service ||2543|
|602||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2522|
|603||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2555|
|604||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2553|
|605||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2556|
|606||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2525|
|607||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2502|
|608||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2539|
|609||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2523|
|610||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2533|
|611||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2534|
|612||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2542|
|613||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2506|
|614||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2517|
|615||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2524|
|616||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2538|
|617||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2510|
|618||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2503|
|619||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2501|
|620||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2551|
|621||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2521|
|622||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2513|
|623||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2541|
|624||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2519|
|625||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2540|
|626||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2537|
|627||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2554|
|628||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2535|
|629||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2526|
|630||TC-44||1947||1959||Used||Kansas City Public Service||2520|
|650||TC-44||1947||1962||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1338|
|651||TC-44||1947||1962||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1339|
|652||TC-44||1947||1962||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1344|
|653||TC-44||1947||1962||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1341|
|654||TC-44||1947||1962||Used||Cincinnati St Ry||1340|
Cincinnati St Ry sold 1338, 1339, 1340, 1341 and 1344 for $300 each, less tires, on September 13, 1962
All Marmon-Herrington's, except #450-459, were equipped with GE 1213 motors and MRC
controls. These 10 exceptions had Westinghouse 1442 motors and "E" controls.
Most Marmon-Herringtons (with the exception of 450-459) remained in MVRTA service until the Flyer E-800 fleet arrived in 1977.
BROWN-BOVERI of CANADA (BBC)
From Edmonton Transit System: 2 each HR-150-G Coaches.
In 1995 the Miami Valley Regional Transit Authority (MVRTA)
purchased these two coaches from Edmonton as "gap-fillers" until the new SKODA ETB's arrived. As of April 2002,
one coach (#110) is in daily revenue service; the other (#109) is parked awaiting parts. They are part of a 100-coach
fleet built in 1981/82 for Edmonton by BBC. Some of these were loaned to Toronto, Ontario, but not 109/110. These coaches
were moved into storage in 2004.
The BBCs utilize a GM of Canada "New-Look/Fishbowl/Dreamliner"
5307 body, with a fixed-frequency, variable-voltage GTO chopper,
and DC series motor built by BBC. The propulsion package
is fitted into a "cradle," the same as if the bus was diesel-powered.
They retain their same fleet numbers originally given by Edmonton. MVRTA
installed wheelchair lifts at the front door prior to their use in Dayton.
THIRD AND FOURTH-HAND DAYTON ETB'S: (Preserved Coaches)
Several of the Dayton "2nd-hand" trolley coaches have found a 3rd or even a 4th owner--as preserved vehicles at museums, etc.
The third hand bus:
|376||1944 Pullman||City Railway Co|| At Seashore Trolley Museum, Kennebunkport, Me. |
The following coaches are presently in the hands of their 4th (!) owners, having passed through ownership at MVRTA from City Transit Co. in 1972:
|404||1947 Pullman||City Railway Co|| Privately owned |
|426||1947 Pullman||City Railway Co||Privately owned in the Dayton area|
|435||1947 Pullman||City Railway Co||At the Illinois Railway Museum, Union IL|
|501||1949 Marmon TC-48||City Railway Co||In the MVRTA Historical Collection|
|515||1949 Marmon TC-48||City Railway Co||At Carillon Park, Dayton OH|
|559||1948 Marmon TC-48||Ex-Columbus #643, City Transit/MVRTA #559.|
#559 was the MVRTA "Fall" , then the "Santa" Bus.
|Is now the "Santa" trolley at the San Francisco CA Municipal Railway|
|604||1947 Marmon TC-44||ex-Kansas City #2553|
City Transit/MVRTA #604
|Now at the Ohio Museum of Transportation, Lakewood OH|
Data for this saga came from Don Brabson, Ed O'Meara, Thomas McNamara, Cliff Scholes, NATTA Databook II, and the MVRTA archives.