Dayton OH Streetcars
Important dates 1869-1947

1869
Dayton Street Rail Road opens a horsecar from Third/King to Third/Findlay
Sep 27 1871
The Dayton View Street Railroad line opens a horsecar from Main/Third to Salem/North
Oct 1871
Oakwood Street Railway starts a horsecar from Main/Third to Oakwood
Jun 16 1872
The Wayne and Fifth St Railroad line opens a horsecar from First/Main to the Asylum via Jefferson/Fifth/Wayne
1875
Wayne and Fifth St Railroad extends horsecar from First/Main to First/Keowee
1881
The Fifth St Railway Co opens a horsecar from Fifth/King to Fifth/Linden
Aug 8 1888
White Line Electric Street Railway opens from Main/Forest to Eaton/Rosemont (first electric in Dayton)
1889
Wayne and Fifth St Railroad extends horsecar from Keowee/First to Valley/Alaska
1890
The Fifth St Railway Co opens a horsecar called the Green Line from Fifth/Labelle to Richard/Linden
1890
The Dayton-Soldiers Home Railway Co builds the Red Line (electric) from Home/King to Soldiers' Home
Oct 15 1894
City Railway electrifies Third St
Oct 15 1894
City Railway formed from Dayton Street Rail Road, Fifth St Railway, Green Line Railway, and Red Line
Dec 1894
City Railway electrifies Fifth St
May 1895
Oakwood Street Railway electrifies to Five Points
Jun 17 1896
White Line buys Wayne and Fifth to form People's Railway
Dec 1896
People's Railway electrifies Wayne/Valley line (last horsecar in Dayton)
1900
Miami Valley Traction builds city streetcar line from Main/Third to Hills/Dales
1900
Dayton-Xenia Transit Co builds city streetcar line from Wayne/Arbor to Third/Main via Wyoming/Ludlow
1903
People's Railway builds Cincinnati St line
1903
People's Railway builds Leo St line
1904
People's Railway extends Wayne Ave to Wayne/Epworth
1904
City Railway builds line to Lexington/Rosedale via Broadway
1906
City Railway builds line to Kammer/McNary via Western Ave
1906
City Railway builds line to Pruden/Sachs via First St
1909
Dayton Street Railway builds line from Linden/Santa Cruz to Salem/Catalpa
Jan 1 1916
Oakwood Street Railway extension to Forrer Blvd opened
1918
Dayton-Xenia extends line from Wayne/Arbor to Watervliet/Kingston
July 1918
Oakwood Street Railway extension to Monteray opened
1926
City Railway extends line to Residence Park via Elmhurst
Apr 23 1933
Dayton Street Railway converts to trolleybuses
Jan 19 1936
Oakwood Street Railway converts to trolleybuses and extends line to Dell Park
Oct 11 1936
People's Railway converts Valley/Cincinnati to trolleybuses
Mar 28 1938
City Railway partially converts Richard/Lexington to trolleybuses. Streetcars run at rush hour
Apr 1938
Drexel Transit Co created from three miles of the ex-DW interurban from Third/Elmhurst to Third/Miller
Aug 1938
People's Railway converts Soldiers Home/Leo to trolleybuses
Aug 18 1940
People's Railway converts Main/Wayne to trolleybuses and extends line to Wayne/Fauver
October 1940
Dayton-Xenia converts Watervliet to trolleybuses and extends line to Ewalt Circle
Spring 1941
City Railway converts Kammer Ave to trolleybuses and extends line to Hoover/Delphos
Sep 27 1941
Last run of the Dayton Suburban to Hills/Dales
Aug 17 1947
City Railway converts Fifth St from streetcars to trolleybuses
Sep 27 1947
City Railway converts Third St from streetcars to trolleybuses from Third/Drury to Third/Elmhurst. Drexel extension still rail.
Nov 23 1947
Last streetcar runs in Dayton on City Railway Drexel extension